What should I know about Glyset before taking it?

The diabetes drug Glyset (miglitol) is prescribed as part of a treatment plan that includes watching your diet and activity levels, so before you take it, you should be prepared to follow any guidelines your doctor gives you. For example, exercising more than usual can drive your blood sugar levels down too low. You also may need to watch how much you drink, since alcohol can lower blood sugar levels.

You'll be taking Glyset three times a day, with meals, so you'll need to get into the habit of eating regularly and remembering to take a Glyset tablet with your first bite at each meal.

While being treated with Glyset, it's important that your blood sugar levels be monitored regularly, so you'll need to keep up with visits to your doctor and to the lab for testing.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...