What should I know about Glyset before taking it?

The diabetes drug Glyset (miglitol) is prescribed as part of a treatment plan that includes watching your diet and activity levels, so before you take it, you should be prepared to follow any guidelines your doctor gives you. For example, exercising more than usual can drive your blood sugar levels down too low. You also may need to watch how much you drink, since alcohol can lower blood sugar levels.

You'll be taking Glyset three times a day, with meals, so you'll need to get into the habit of eating regularly and remembering to take a Glyset tablet with your first bite at each meal.

While being treated with Glyset, it's important that your blood sugar levels be monitored regularly, so you'll need to keep up with visits to your doctor and to the lab for testing.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...