What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol.

If you have renal insufficiency, you should not take a sulfonylurea.

Sulfonylureas may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

You should not take chlorpropamide if you are breastfeeding. Other sulfonylureas may also not be good options for you. It is not known if they can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...