What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol.

If you have renal insufficiency, you should not take a sulfonylurea.

Sulfonylureas may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

You should not take chlorpropamide if you are breastfeeding. Other sulfonylureas may also not be good options for you. It is not known if they can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...