What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol.

If you have renal insufficiency, you should not take a sulfonylurea.

Sulfonylureas may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

You should not take chlorpropamide if you are breastfeeding. Other sulfonylureas may also not be good options for you. It is not known if they can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...