What should I know before using repaglinide and metformin?

Repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet) is a combination drug that helps to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. It comes as a combination tablet that's taken up to 30 minutes before meals and is most effective when used along with following a healthy diet and getting plenty of exercise.

Repaglinide and metformin can cause side effects, including blood sugar levels that are too high or too low. Extremely low blood sugar is called hypoglycemia and can cause confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness. Be sure anyone you spend regular time with knows the symptoms of hypoglycemia and how to treat them.

At the beginning of treatment with repaglinide and metformin, some people experience diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. More serious side effects may occur as well, including lactic acidosis, an allergic reaction or negative interactions with other medications. Talk with your doctor if you experience any serious changes in your health while taking repaglinide and metformin or if you develop any side effects that don't go away.

You'll need to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly while taking repaglinide and metformin. Plan to keep all of your scheduled appointments for laboratory tests and medical appointments so your doctor can check for potential side effects from the drug and make sure it's working.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
Do any other drugs interact with pramlintide?
Because pramlintide may affect absorption rates of some oral drugs, follow instructions carefully fo...