What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

Acarbose may be passed into breast milk and may not be a good option for women who are nursing.

If you have cirrhosis of the liver, you should not take acarbose.

If you have kidney impairment, you should not take an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor.

If you have inflammatory bowel disease, you should not take an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...