What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

Acarbose may be passed into breast milk and may not be a good option for women who are nursing.

If you have cirrhosis of the liver, you should not take acarbose.

If you have kidney impairment, you should not take an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor.

If you have inflammatory bowel disease, you should not take an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...