What should I know about Prandin before taking it?

If you have type 2 diabetes, Prandin can help your pancreas produce more insulin and regulate your blood sugar levels. When your body maintains near-normal blood sugar levels, you can help avoid long-term diabetes complications, such as kidney failure, loss of sensation, and blindness. Prandin does not work if you have type 1 diabetes. People with type 1 diabetes are unable to produce any insulin, even if they take medications. If you take too much Prandin or take it at the wrong time, you may be at risk for dangerously low blood sugar. For the best results, take Prandin 30 minutes before meals. If you skip a meal, do not take your Prandin. Prandin can interact with other drugs such as barbiturates, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, aspirin, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), oral contraceptives, azole antifungal drugs, erythromycin, clarithromycin, fluphenazine, gemfibrozil, isoniazid, ketoconazole, cyclosporine, protease inhibitors, rifampin, carbamazepine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), probenecid, triflupromazine, chlorambucil, trimethoprim, warfarin, cholesterol-lowering drugs, steroids, sulfa drugs, thyroid medications, and diuretics. There may be other drugs that interact with Prandin. Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take, including over-the-counter and herbal supplements. Do not take Prandin if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Avoid alcohol while taking Prandin because it can lower blood sugar to dangerous levels. You may not be able to take this drug if you have adrenal or pituitary gland disorders, kidney or liver disease, nerve or thyroid problems, an infection, or suffer from nausea or vomiting. This drug may be risky for breast-feeding and pregnant women. As a precaution, you should keep a source of sugar on hand at all times in case your blood sugar drops to dangerously low levels. Learn to recognize how you feel if you have low blood sugar. Tell the people who are around you how to recognize your symptoms of hypoglycemia and wear a medical alert bracelet that identifies you as having diabetes.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
Avandia improves how insulin is used in your body. It also decreases the amount of sugar released by...