What is tolbutamide?

Tolbutamide, also known by the brand name Orinase, is a sulfonylurea that lowers your blood sugar by stimulating the pancreas to release insulin into the blood stream. Insulin in the bloodstream helps carry sugar into the cells where it is used as fuel. Tolbutamide is available in a tablet or capsule form for use by people with type 2 diabetes. It is not a substitute for a proper diet, but a supplement for those with hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) who cannot control their blood sugar by lifestyle changes alone.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...