What is tolbutamide?

Tolbutamide, also known by the brand name Orinase, is a sulfonylurea that lowers your blood sugar by stimulating the pancreas to release insulin into the blood stream. Insulin in the bloodstream helps carry sugar into the cells where it is used as fuel. Tolbutamide is available in a tablet or capsule form for use by people with type 2 diabetes. It is not a substitute for a proper diet, but a supplement for those with hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) who cannot control their blood sugar by lifestyle changes alone.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...