What is Onglyza?

Onglyza (saxagliptin) is a prescription medication used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus. Onglyza, the brand name for a generic ingredient called saxagliptin, helps to control the production of sugar from the liver and increases the release of insulin from the pancreas. People with type 2 diabetes mellitus produce excess sugar in the liver and may have decreased insulin production, which increases sugar in their blood. Onglyza help to control blood sugar (glucose) levels.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...