What is metformin HCl?

Metformin HCl is a prescription medication that is used to treat type 2 diabetes. It helps to control blood sugar by decreasing the amount of sugar that is produced in the liver, increasing the sensitivity of insulin receptors, and limiting the amount of sugar that is absorbed by the body from food. It may be combined with other treatments like insulin. This medication is available as a tablet or liquid that is taken orally. Metformin HCl is available under the brand name Glucophage.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...