What is Janumet?

Janumet (combination metformin and sitagliptin) is a type 2 diabetes medication that works by lowering blood sugar and regulating insulin. Specifically, metformin helps to reduce production of glucose (sugar) in the liver, to reduce glucose absorption in the intestines, and to enhance the ability of cells to use sugar more effectively. Sitagliptin helps the pancreas to release more insulin and signals the liver to stop producing glucose when blood sugar levels are too high. Janumet is an oral medication specifically for use in persons with type 2 diabetes. It should not be used by persons with type 1 diabetes, as type 1 diabetes indicates that the body is unable to produce and regulate its own insulin levels and therefore requires a different type of treatment.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...