What is glyburide-metformin?

Glyburide-metformin is a combination medicine used to treat Type 2 diabetes when diet and exercise are not enough. Glyburide helps the pancreas produce insulin, which helps lower blood sugar. Metformin reduces the level of sugar produced by the liver. Metformin also reduces the amount of sugar absorbed by the body and enables the body to use insulin more efficiently. This medicine is not used to treat Type 1 diabetes. Glyburide in a class of drugs called sulfonylureas. Metformin is in a class of drugs called biguanides. Glyburide-metformin is administered orally.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...