What is glyburide-metformin?

Glyburide-metformin is a combination medicine used to treat Type 2 diabetes when diet and exercise are not enough. Glyburide helps the pancreas produce insulin, which helps lower blood sugar. Metformin reduces the level of sugar produced by the liver. Metformin also reduces the amount of sugar absorbed by the body and enables the body to use insulin more efficiently. This medicine is not used to treat Type 1 diabetes. Glyburide in a class of drugs called sulfonylureas. Metformin is in a class of drugs called biguanides. Glyburide-metformin is administered orally.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...