What is Glucovance?

Glucovance (glyburide and metformin) is a medication for the treatment of type 2 diabetes that combines two drugs into one tablet. Each drug helps control blood sugar, but by different methods. Glyburide stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin (the hormone that's chiefly responsible for moving sugar out of the blood and into the cells of the body's tissues), while metformin more directly helps to lower the level of sugar in the blood, in part by reducing the amount of sugar produced by the liver. The combination may help control blood sugar in people for whom diet and exercise is not enough to achieve healthy levels. Glucovance does not work for type 1 diabetes, in which the pancreas does not have the ability to make insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...
Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...