What is Glucovance?

Glucovance (glyburide and metformin) is a medication for the treatment of type 2 diabetes that combines two drugs into one tablet. Each drug helps control blood sugar, but by different methods. Glyburide stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin (the hormone that's chiefly responsible for moving sugar out of the blood and into the cells of the body's tissues), while metformin more directly helps to lower the level of sugar in the blood, in part by reducing the amount of sugar produced by the liver. The combination may help control blood sugar in people for whom diet and exercise is not enough to achieve healthy levels. Glucovance does not work for type 1 diabetes, in which the pancreas does not have the ability to make insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...