What is glipizide extended release?

Glipizide extended release is a prescription medication that is used along with diet and exercise to treat Type 2 diabetes. The active ingredient in glipizide extended release tablets is glipizide, a type of medication called a sulfonylurea that works by decreasing the liver's production of sugar and increasing the pancreas's release of natural insulin in the body. In this way, glipizide extended release helps lower blood sugar levels. Glipizide extended release comes as a tablet that is taken by mouth, usually once a day with your first meal. Glipizide extended release tablets should be swallowed whole (never chewed or crushed) and should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Glipizide extended release tablets are available as the brand-name medication Glucotrol, or as a generic version in several different strengths. Talk to your doctor to determine whether glipizide extended release is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...