What is insulin glargine (rDNA origin) injection?

Insulin glargine (rDNA origin) injection, sold under the brand name Lantus, is used by people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes to regulate blood glucose levels. It is classified as a long-acting type insulin and is injected into the body. In diabetes, the body does not make enough insulin, a chemical needed to maintain normal blood sugar levels. Without adequate insulin, blood sugar can become dangerously high. Insulin glargine (rDNA origin) injection lowers blood sugar in those who have diabetes.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...