What is Byetta?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Byetta is an injectable insulin treatment  for people with type 2 diabetes only. Byetta belongs to a class of drugs called incretins. Byetta works by providing extra GLP-1 (well, technically a synthetic version called a mimetic), overwhelming the DPP-4 in the same way insulin shots overwhelm insulin resistance.

Like insulin, Byetta comes in a pen. Like metformin, you need to start with a smaller dose.
The Born-Again Diabetic: The handbook to help you get your diabetes in control (again)

Much has been written about the explosion of diabetes on the world stage the 4,000 new cases a day we all know about, the millions of people unaware they have diabetes. But another epidemic is...
Byetta is for type 2 diabetes. Unlike injectable insulin, which just supplements the insulin your body naturally produces, Byetta causes your pancreas to release more insulin and slows down stomach emptying. Because it is not insulin, it is not used in type 1 diabetes. It is an injection.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...