What is Avandia?

Avandia is a medication used in treatment plans for type 2 diabetes. Doctors usually prescribe exercise, diet, and sometimes other medications such as metformin or sulfonylurea along with Avandia for comprehensive treatment of type 2 diabetes. The medication works by increasing the body’s responsiveness to naturally-occurring insulin, a substance released by the pancreas that regulates blood sugar levels. Avandia is the brand name for rosiglitazone, which belongs to a group of medications called thiazolidinediones.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...