What is acarbose?

Starch blockers, such as acarbose, are used to treat type 2 diabetes. They slow digestion to prevent blood sugar from spiking after meals.

Acarbose is a glucosidase inhibitor that is prescribed to manage type 2 diabetes, and is often prescribed in combination with other diabetes medications. Acarbose can help the body regulate blood sugar levels after you eat by slowing the process that converts carbohydrates into glucose.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...