Can Glyset interact with other medications?

Glyset (miglitol), which is used to treat diabetes, can interact with several other medications, so be sure to tell your doctor about all drugs you take, including prescription and nonprescription medications and herbal remedies. The medications that Glyset may interact with include:
  • two other diabetes drugs, glyburide and metformin
  • digoxin, a drug used to treat heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms 
  • ranitidine, an ulcer medication
  • the beta-blocker propranolol, which treats high blood pressure and heart disease and is also used to prevent chest pain and migraine headaches
  • certain medications that aid in digestion, including charcoal, amylase and pancreatin

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...