What is DiaBeta?

DiaBeta (glyburide) is an oral medication used in combination with diet and exercise, and sometimes other drugs, to treat type 2 diabetes. DiaBeta lowers blood sugar by causing the pancreas to produce insulin, a hormone that helps the body use and store blood sugar, and by helping the body use insulin more efficiently.

In order for DiaBeta to work, you have to be making at least some insulin on your own. It can’t help people with type 1 diabetes, who produce none.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...