What should I do if I develop hypoglycemia while using miglitol?

Miglitol (Glyset), a drug used in combination with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes, slows the absorption of sugar by the small intestine, causing low blood sugar levels after meals. This means you may experience mild to moderate hypoglycemia. Ordinarily fruit juice or other products that contain sucrose or cane sugar usually help alleviate symptoms of hypoglycemia, but in this case you'll need to reach for a source of glucose such as dextrose or D-glucose. Have one of these products on hand in case you develop hypoglycemia while taking miglitol. For severe hypoglycemia, you may need an IV (intravenous) infusion of glucose or an injection of glucagon.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

what is pramlintide ?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
does liraglutide cause any side effects ?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
what is exenatide for diabetes ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
how does novolog flexpen treat diabetes ?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...