What should I do if I develop hypoglycemia while using miglitol?

Miglitol (Glyset), a drug used in combination with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes, slows the absorption of sugar by the small intestine, causing low blood sugar levels after meals. This means you may experience mild to moderate hypoglycemia. Ordinarily fruit juice or other products that contain sucrose or cane sugar usually help alleviate symptoms of hypoglycemia, but in this case you'll need to reach for a source of glucose such as dextrose or D-glucose. Have one of these products on hand in case you develop hypoglycemia while taking miglitol. For severe hypoglycemia, you may need an IV (intravenous) infusion of glucose or an injection of glucagon.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...