What conditions can be treated with repaglinide?

Repaglinide (brand name Prandin) is prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes. People with type 2 diabetes are not able to regulate their blood sugar, either because they don't make enough insulin or their cells have stopped responding to it. Insulin is the hormone that moves glucose (another word for sugar) out of the blood and into cells, where it can be used for fuel. In type 2 diabetes, sugar builds up in the blood stream, causing damage throughout the body.

Taking a medicine like repaglinide can help lower blood sugar levels, which in turn lowers the risk for complications such as heart disease, leg amputations and strokes.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...