What should I avoid while using Apidra?

There are several things you should avoid if you’re taking the diabetes drug Apidra (insulin glulisine). It is important to avoid the following:
  • skipping or delaying meals. Try to eat about the same amount and types of food on a regular schedule.
  • injecting Apidra in the same spot each time. You can inject Apidra in your stomach, thighs or upper arms, but don’t use the same site more than once every week or two.
  • certain medications. Many drugs—even common over-the-counter ones—can interact with Apidra, so be sure your doctor knows about all medications and supplements you take.
  • taking Apidra when your blood sugar is low.
  • sharing needles, prefilled pens or syringes.
You may also need to avoid alcohol while taking this drug for type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Talk to your doctor about your alcohol consumption before starting this drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...