What should I avoid while taking repaglinide and metformin?

The most important thing to avoid while taking repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet) is drinking a lot of alcohol or drinking alcohol too often. The metformin in this combination drug, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, can accumulate in the body when there's alcohol present and lead to a serious condition called lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis causes nausea and weakness and likely requires hospitalization. If your doctor prescribes repaglinide and metformin for type 2 diabetes, discuss how much alcohol is safe for you to drink while you're taking this medication.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...