What should I avoid while taking repaglinide and metformin?

The most important thing to avoid while taking repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet) is drinking a lot of alcohol or drinking alcohol too often. The metformin in this combination drug, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, can accumulate in the body when there's alcohol present and lead to a serious condition called lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis causes nausea and weakness and likely requires hospitalization. If your doctor prescribes repaglinide and metformin for type 2 diabetes, discuss how much alcohol is safe for you to drink while you're taking this medication.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...