Can I take pioglitazone if I am pregnant?

It is probably not a good idea to take pioglitazone during your pregnancy. Pioglitazone is rated "C" by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means that risks to the fetus cannot be ruled out. In the case of pioglitazone, studies done on animals have shown that pioglitazone can be harmful during pregnancy. Also, the general category to which pioglitazone belongs--oral diabetes agents--should be avoided during pregnancy, because there is so little information on potential effects to the developing baby. If you want to make sure your diabetes is well-controlled during your pregnancy, talk with your doctor; they may recommend that you take insulin while you are pregnant, to ensure that your blood sugar levels stay within a normal range.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...