Can I take pioglitazone if I am pregnant?

It is probably not a good idea to take pioglitazone during your pregnancy. Pioglitazone is rated "C" by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means that risks to the fetus cannot be ruled out. In the case of pioglitazone, studies done on animals have shown that pioglitazone can be harmful during pregnancy. Also, the general category to which pioglitazone belongs--oral diabetes agents--should be avoided during pregnancy, because there is so little information on potential effects to the developing baby. If you want to make sure your diabetes is well-controlled during your pregnancy, talk with your doctor; they may recommend that you take insulin while you are pregnant, to ensure that your blood sugar levels stay within a normal range.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...