Can I take pioglitazone if I am pregnant?

It is probably not a good idea to take pioglitazone during your pregnancy. Pioglitazone is rated "C" by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means that risks to the fetus cannot be ruled out. In the case of pioglitazone, studies done on animals have shown that pioglitazone can be harmful during pregnancy. Also, the general category to which pioglitazone belongs--oral diabetes agents--should be avoided during pregnancy, because there is so little information on potential effects to the developing baby. If you want to make sure your diabetes is well-controlled during your pregnancy, talk with your doctor; they may recommend that you take insulin while you are pregnant, to ensure that your blood sugar levels stay within a normal range.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Rosiglitazone (Avandia) and pioglitazone (ACTOS) are in a group of drugs called thiazolidinediones. ...