What special diet should I follow while I take miglitol?

Miglitol (Glyset) is given alone or in combination with other type 2 diabetes medications to help control blood sugar. Miglitol can slow the absorption of the carbohydrates you eat so your blood sugar does not spike after a meal. But it is not an easy fix or a substitute for eating right. You must also eat a healthy diet and follow a program of regular exercise for effective blood sugar management. If you are overweight, restricting calories and losing weight is essential.

Your doctor can give you a diet and exercise plan to help control your blood sugar levels to complement your miglitol therapy. Drinking alcohol can affect your glucose levels so drink cautiously.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...