What are the side effects of acarbose?

Acarbose can cause mild gastrointestinal distress (vomiting, diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea, and stomach pain). If these symptoms persist or become severe tell your doctor.

If you have digestive problems, kidney or liver disease, chronic bowel inflammation, colon ulcers, a history of intestinal blockage, or intestinal disorders that interfere with nutrient absorption acarbose may not be right for you.

Serious side effects include allergic reaction (skin rash, hives, wheezing or difficulty breathing, tightening of the chest, or swelling of the face and mouth); jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); fever; loss of appetite; gray-colored stools; and dark urine. If you experience these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...