What are the side effects of acarbose?

Acarbose can cause mild gastrointestinal distress (vomiting, diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea, and stomach pain). If these symptoms persist or become severe tell your doctor.

If you have digestive problems, kidney or liver disease, chronic bowel inflammation, colon ulcers, a history of intestinal blockage, or intestinal disorders that interfere with nutrient absorption acarbose may not be right for you.

Serious side effects include allergic reaction (skin rash, hives, wheezing or difficulty breathing, tightening of the chest, or swelling of the face and mouth); jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); fever; loss of appetite; gray-colored stools; and dark urine. If you experience these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...