What should I know about metformin HCl before taking it?

Before taking metformin HCl, you should know how to recognize if your blood sugar is too low. Signs of low blood sugar include:

• confusion
  • drowsiness
  • weakness
  • hunger
  • headache
  • sweating
  • coma
  • fainting
  • seizure
  • fast heartbeat

Make sure that you always have immediate access to some sugar source in case you develop any of these symptoms. While taking metformin HCl, it is possible to develop lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis is a life-threatening condition. Symptoms are:

• slow heart rate
  • muscle pain
  • fainting
  • weakness
  • increasing sleepiness
  • cold feeling
  • light-headedness
  • stomach pain

If you experience any of these symptoms, seek emergency medical attention. Before using metformin HCl, tell your doctor if you have any history of liver, kidney, or heart disease. These conditions may make you unable to take this medication. If you are to undergo any type of imaging test like an x-ray or CT scan in which a dye needs to be injected into your vein, you will likely need to stop taking this medication for a short period of time. Tell your doctor before the imaging test if you are using metformin HCl.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...