If I am pregnant, is it safe to take saxagliptin?

It isn't known if it's safe to take saxagliptin (Onglyza) during pregnancy. This drug, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, hasn't been studied adequately in pregnant women. However, in lab animals high doses of saxagliptin caused slow growth and bone defects in developing fetuses. If your doctor prescribes saxagliptin and you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should discuss whether the benefits of taking the drug outweigh the potential risks.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...