If I am pregnant, is it safe to take saxagliptin?

It isn't known if it's safe to take saxagliptin (Onglyza) during pregnancy. This drug, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, hasn't been studied adequately in pregnant women. However, in lab animals high doses of saxagliptin caused slow growth and bone defects in developing fetuses. If your doctor prescribes saxagliptin and you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should discuss whether the benefits of taking the drug outweigh the potential risks.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...