If I am pregnant, is it safe to take saxagliptin?

It isn't known if it's safe to take saxagliptin (Onglyza) during pregnancy. This drug, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, hasn't been studied adequately in pregnant women. However, in lab animals high doses of saxagliptin caused slow growth and bone defects in developing fetuses. If your doctor prescribes saxagliptin and you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should discuss whether the benefits of taking the drug outweigh the potential risks.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...