If I am pregnant, is it safe to use PrandiMet?

Experts aren't sure if it's safe to take the diabetes drug PrandiMet (repaglinide and metformin) if you're pregnant. You should use this drug during pregnancy only if you and your doctor decide its benefits outweigh its risks.  

Researchers haven't studied this drug in pregnant women. There haven't even been animal studies of this combined drug during pregnancy. However, animal studies of repaglinide -- one component of PrandiMet -- suggest that it may affect fetal bone growth.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
People with type 1 diabetes and people with type 2 diabetes who take insulin can work with their die...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...