If I am pregnant, is it safe to use PrandiMet?

Experts aren't sure if it's safe to take the diabetes drug PrandiMet (repaglinide and metformin) if you're pregnant. You should use this drug during pregnancy only if you and your doctor decide its benefits outweigh its risks.  

Researchers haven't studied this drug in pregnant women. There haven't even been animal studies of this combined drug during pregnancy. However, animal studies of repaglinide -- one component of PrandiMet -- suggest that it may affect fetal bone growth.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...