Is it safe to use glyburide and metformin if I'm pregnant?

You should try to avoid glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance) during pregnancy. This combination drug for type 2 diabetes has not been tested in animals, but when glyburide and metformin were tested separately, neither caused birth defects. However, if a woman is taking glyburide and metformin when she gives birth, her baby may be born with dangerously low blood sugar. Because of this, experts say that alternatives are a better choice during pregnancy. If you do need to take glyburide and metformin during pregnancy, your doctor will likely recommend that you stop at least two weeks before your due date.

If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking glyburide and metformin. If you are already taking glyburide and metformin and become pregnant, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

what are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Acarbose (Precose) and meglitol (Glyset) are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors. These drugs help the body...
does liraglutide cause any side effects ?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
will i need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes ?
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar ?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...