Is it safe to use glyburide and metformin if I'm pregnant?

You should try to avoid glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance) during pregnancy. This combination drug for type 2 diabetes has not been tested in animals, but when glyburide and metformin were tested separately, neither caused birth defects. However, if a woman is taking glyburide and metformin when she gives birth, her baby may be born with dangerously low blood sugar. Because of this, experts say that alternatives are a better choice during pregnancy. If you do need to take glyburide and metformin during pregnancy, your doctor will likely recommend that you stop at least two weeks before your due date.

If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking glyburide and metformin. If you are already taking glyburide and metformin and become pregnant, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...