How does miglitol interact with other medications or foods?

Miglitol may interact with other medications, supplements, and foods. The combination of propranolol with certain medications may cause an increase, decrease, or altered effect of either medication. Although you should thoroughly discuss with your doctor the potential interactions of all medications you are taking, some medications that are known to interact with miglitol include: calcium channel blockers, other diabetes medications, digoxin, estrogen birth control pills, phenytoin, propranolol, ranitidine, steroid medications, thiazide diuretic, and thyroid medications. Tell your doctor if you are taking supplements or herbs, including digestive enzymes. You should not take digestive enzymes at the same time as this medication.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...