Is Metaglip safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Because there have been no well-controlled studies of the effects of Metaglip (glipizide/metformin) in pregnant women, this medication should not be used during pregnancy unless recommended by your doctor. (Recent studies suggest that abnormal blood glucose levels during pregnancy can be associated with higher incidences of congenital abnormalities; many experts recommend that insulin be used during pregnancy to maintain blood glucose levels.)

It is not known whether Metaglip passes into breast milk and it is safe to use while breastfeeding. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of using this medication if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...