What should I know about glipizide and metformin before taking it?

Before taking glipizide and metformin, you should know some potential risks associated with this medication. In some cases, the medication may increase the risk for a condition called lactic acidosis, which involves a buildup of acid in the blood and can become life-threatening. If you develop symptoms of lactic acidosis, such as shortness of breath, light-headedness, fainting, weakness, slowed heartbeat, feeling cold, muscle or stomach pain, or unusual sleepiness, get emergency medical attention immediately. People who have liver disease, kidney disease, or congestive heart failure are at a greater risk for lactic acidosis, so tell your doctor if you have any of these conditions before taking glipizide and metformin. Your risk for this and other serious complications may also be increased if you have any X-ray or CT scans that involve a dye being injected into your veins. If you need one of those procedures while taking glipizide and metformin, talk to your doctor first because you may need to stop taking the medication temporarily.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...