What should I know about Novolin R before taking it?

Before using Novolin R (insulin human regular), you should be aware of the following:
  • This medication should be considered just one part of a diabetes treatment regimen. While taking Novolin R, you will need to maintain an adequate diet, exercise regularly, maintain your weight, and maintain the health of your feet and teeth.
  • You must eat within 15 to 30 minutes of taking Novolin R, to avoid having low blood sugar.
  • You will need to monitor your blood sugar regularly while using Novolin R. Be careful not allow your blood sugar get too low or high; be aware of the symptoms of both conditions and be prepared to treat them. (Have access to additional insulin supplies and appropriate food or snacks to help maintain your blood sugar.)
  • Never share injection needles or cartridges, to avoid risk of HIV or hepatitis.
  • Before starting Novolin R, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease or if you take any other diabetes medication.
  • Change the injection site each time you use Novolin R.
  • Always follow your doctor's instructions exactly on how and when to use insulin and how to dispose of injection equipment.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...