What should I know about glipizide extended release before taking it?

Before taking glipizide extended release, you should know some potential risks associated with this medication. Glipizide extended release may cause hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar levels, of which symptoms may include rapid heartbeat, headache, sweating, dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision, chills, tremors, hunger, and anxiety. The risk for hypoglycemia is increased if you drink alcohol, exercise for a long time, or skip meals. To reduce the risk, always carry a source of fast-acting sugar, such as glucose tablets or gel, candy, or orange juice. Glipizide extended release tablets may also cause side effects like dizziness, drowsiness, and blurred vision. Because of this, you should avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how your body responds to glipizide extended release.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...