What should I know about intermediate-acting insulin before taking it?

Intermediate-acting insulin is a diabetes medication that is used to control blood sugar throughout the day. You should not use intermediate-acting insulin if you have an allergy to insulin or if you are experiencing hypoglycemia. There are many medications that can cause low blood sugar when combined with intermediate-acting insulin, so check with your doctor before starting any new medication. You should also let your doctor know if you have liver, kidney, pituitary, adrenal, or thyroid disease before you start using intermediate-acting insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...