What should I know about glyburide before taking it?

Before you take glyburide you should know that if you have had an allergic reaction to glyburide or sulfa drugs, have type I diabetes or have diabetic ketoacidosis you should not take this medication. If you have a history of heart or kidney disease, hemolytic anemia, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, or a nerve disorder glyburide may not be right for you.

You should also avoid taking medications such as bosentan (Tracleer) or chlorpropamide (Diabinese) while you are on glyburide. Tell your doctor all the prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications and nutritional supplements you take.

Glyburide can sometimes cause hypoglycemia by lowering blood sugar levels too much. To reduce your risk of developing hypoglycemia, avoid drinking alcohol and skipping meals. Until you know how you react to glyburide, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery.

Glyburide can also make you more susceptible to sunburn, so be sure to take the necessary precautions when going outside.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...