What should I know about glyburide before taking it?

Before you take glyburide you should know that if you have had an allergic reaction to glyburide or sulfa drugs, have type I diabetes or have diabetic ketoacidosis you should not take this medication. If you have a history of heart or kidney disease, hemolytic anemia, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, or a nerve disorder glyburide may not be right for you.

You should also avoid taking medications such as bosentan (Tracleer) or chlorpropamide (Diabinese) while you are on glyburide. Tell your doctor all the prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications and nutritional supplements you take.

Glyburide can sometimes cause hypoglycemia by lowering blood sugar levels too much. To reduce your risk of developing hypoglycemia, avoid drinking alcohol and skipping meals. Until you know how you react to glyburide, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery.

Glyburide can also make you more susceptible to sunburn, so be sure to take the necessary precautions when going outside.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

how should i distribute my insulin throughout the day ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
what should i know before taking liraglutide ?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
does premlintide have any side effects ?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
how does novolog flexpen treat diabetes ?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...