Is there a generic version of Lantus?

There is not currently a generic version of Lantus. Several patents for Lantus exist, which generally need to expire before a generic can be made. In addition, Lantus is a biologic drug, which has special laws within the United States. Currently, it is illegal to create generic version of a biologic, regardless of its patent status.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...