Is it safe to use Symlin if I am breastfeeding?

Researchers don't know if it's safe to use the diabetes drug Symlin (pramlintide) if you're breastfeeding. Studies haven't been done to see if the medication passes into breast milk, but many similar drugs do. Your doctor will prescribe Symlin to you only if the benefits of the medication outweigh its potential risks to your baby. Talk to your doctor to determine the best way to control your diabetes while you are breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...