Is Lantus Solostar safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration classifies Lantus Solostar (insulin glargine) in pregnancy category C because studies do not adequately show whether this drug poses a risk to an unborn child. However, insulin is considered the best treatment for pregnant women who are diabetic. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause high blood sugar (hyperglycemia), which is associated with birth defects. It is unknown whether this drug can be passed in breast milk. Talk to your doctor if you plan on nursing or becoming pregnant while using Lantus Solostar.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...