Is Janumet safe for children?

The safety and efficacy of Janumet have not been established for use in persons under the age of 18. Because the safety and efficacy of Janumet have not been established for children, it is not recommended that children be prescribed this medication. Additionally, it is not known if Janumet will cause harm to an unborn baby if used by a woman during pregnancy. Janumet is classified by the FDA as a Class B drug, which means that it is not expected to cause harm to unborn children. Mothers who use Janumet during pregnancy can sign up for a Janumet pregnancy registry to track the long-term effects of Janumet on their children. The purpose of this registry is to assess whether long-term effects from Janumet use during pregnancy exist.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...