How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?

People with type 1 diabetes and people with type 2 diabetes who take insulin can work with their dietitian or diabetes educator to come up with a plan for how much insulin to inject per gram of carbohydrate.  In general, 1 unit of insulin will cover up to 20 grams of carbohydrate. You also need to find out how this applies to you. You need to monitor your blood glucose frequently. You will need to adjust the amounts of rapid-acting insulin given before each meal in order to cover the carbohydrates in your meal, lower a high blood glucose level not sufficiently lowered by the previous rapid-acting insulin injection, or anticipate the rise in blood glucose caused by the next meal.
Toby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active insulin is needed to cover or match a specific amount of carbohydrate ingested. This ratio is individualized to the person's sensitivity to insulin so the numbers will vary. A toddler may need 1 unit to every 30 grams of carbohydrate while an adult who has some insulin resisitance or not sensitive to insulin may require as much as 1 unit of insulin to every 5 grams of carbohydrate. It is best to work with your endocrinologist and diabetes educator to figure out how much insulin you need for each gram of carbohydrate. There are several methods to calculate the I:C ratio. Here is one of them: based on your weight adn total daily insulin dose; multiply 2.8 X weight in pounds and divide by your total daily dose of insulin to get your I:C ratio.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...