If I am pregnant, is it safe to take Glucovance?

Experts say that it's better to avoid Glucovance (glyburide and metformin) if you're pregnant. A combination of two drugs, Glucovance is a treatment for type 2 diabetes, but it hasn't been well studied during pregnancy. In animal studies, the individual drugs, glyburide and metformin, didn't cause harm to the developing fetus -- but the drug combo hasn't been studied. And in humans, researchers haven't tested the drug combo or the individual drugs during pregnancy.

Researchers also say that if a woman takes Glucovance around the time of delivery, her baby could be born with very low blood sugar levels, which can be dangerous. So if you do take Glucovance during pregnancy, your doctor will probably recommend that you stop taking it at least two weeks before your baby's due date.

If you're pregnant, it's important to control your blood sugar during pregnancy. If you can't do it through diet and exercise, your doctor is likely to prescribe insulin. If you are pregnant or if you are planning to become pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking Glucovance. If you are taking Glucovance and become pregnant, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...