If I am pregnant, is it safe to take Glucotrol?

If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, speak to your doctor about whether it's safe to take Glucotrol (glipizide), a drug prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes. Animal research shows that this drug may cause harm to a developing fetus. In addition, if a woman takes Glucotrol around the time of delivery, it can cause abnormally low blood sugar levels in her newborn. Women who continue to take Glucotrol during pregnancy should stop taking it at least one month before their expected delivery date.

Your doctor can help you weigh the risks and benefits of taking Glucotrol or another drug during pregnancy to treat your type 2 diabetes.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
Avandia improves how insulin is used in your body. It also decreases the amount of sugar released by...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...