If I am pregnant, is it safe to take Glucotrol?

If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, speak to your doctor about whether it's safe to take Glucotrol (glipizide), a drug prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes. Animal research shows that this drug may cause harm to a developing fetus. In addition, if a woman takes Glucotrol around the time of delivery, it can cause abnormally low blood sugar levels in her newborn. Women who continue to take Glucotrol during pregnancy should stop taking it at least one month before their expected delivery date.

Your doctor can help you weigh the risks and benefits of taking Glucotrol or another drug during pregnancy to treat your type 2 diabetes.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

how much insulin do i need per gram of carbohydrate ?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
how do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes ?
The diabetes drug Prandin (repaglinide) works by stimulating the pancreas to release more insulin, a...
does premlintide have any side effects ?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications ?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...