If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Symlin?

Researchers don't know if it's safe to use the diabetes drug Symlin (pramlintide) if you're pregnant. In animal studies, some doses of Symlin didn't affect the developing fetus, but these sorts of studies don't always predict what will happen in humans. More research is needed. In the meantime, if you're pregnant, talk to your doctor so you can decide together whether Symlin's benefits justify its risks. Your doctor can also talk to you about other ways you can control your blood sugar during your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...