If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Symlin?

Researchers don't know if it's safe to use the diabetes drug Symlin (pramlintide) if you're pregnant. In animal studies, some doses of Symlin didn't affect the developing fetus, but these sorts of studies don't always predict what will happen in humans. More research is needed. In the meantime, if you're pregnant, talk to your doctor so you can decide together whether Symlin's benefits justify its risks. Your doctor can also talk to you about other ways you can control your blood sugar during your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are thiazolidinediones?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Rosiglitazone (Avandia) and pioglitazone (ACTOS) are in a group of drugs called thiazolidinediones. ...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...