If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Symlin?

Researchers don't know if it's safe to use the diabetes drug Symlin (pramlintide) if you're pregnant. In animal studies, some doses of Symlin didn't affect the developing fetus, but these sorts of studies don't always predict what will happen in humans. More research is needed. In the meantime, if you're pregnant, talk to your doctor so you can decide together whether Symlin's benefits justify its risks. Your doctor can also talk to you about other ways you can control your blood sugar during your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...