If I am pregnant, is it safe to use DiaBeta?

The diabetes drug DiaBeta (glyburide) may be safe enough to use during pregnancy. The Food and Drug Administration classifies it as Pregnancy Category C. That means there are no well-controlled studies in humans, and animal studies show some adverse reactions in developing fetuses—but the drug's likely benefits may justify its potential risks. Your doctor can help you decide whether this is the right drug for you if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.

If you use DiaBeta during pregnancy, your doctor will probably take you off it several weeks before your due date. Fetuses exposed to similar drugs (a class known as sulfonylureas) shortly before delivery may experience dangerously prolonged, severe hypoglycemia—low blood sugar—after birth.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...