How should I take miglitol?

You should take miglitol (Glyset) three times a day, at the beginning of each meal. Swallow your miglitol pill with your first bite.

Take the exact dose of miglitol your doctor prescribes for you. It's likely that in the beginning of treatment with miglitol, you'll take the lowest dose possible for awhile, to help prevent side effects from the drug. The most common side effects of miglitol include gas, diarrhea, stomach pain and a skin rash. As your body gets used to miglitol, your doctor will increase your dose until he or she finds the right one for you.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
Avandia improves how insulin is used in your body. It also decreases the amount of sugar released by...