How should I take glipizide-metformin?

Glipizide-metformin is usually taken by mouth with meals as directed by a doctor. Children and the elderly should consult their doctor about proper dosage. Glipizide-metformin is only part of a program to treat diabetes. It must be paired with a healthy diet and exercise. Do not stop taking glipizide-metformin without your doctor's okay, even if you are feeling well.
Since glipizide-metformin lowers your blood sugar levels, it can sometimes result in blood sugar levels that are too low, or hypoglycemia. In order to avoid a hypoglycemic episode, you should try to avoid stress and alcohol, as well as eat regular meals. If your glucose levels drop too low and you suffer from a hypoglycemic episode, there are several things you can do to bring your levels back up. These include consuming a sugar source like orange juice, milk, candy or glucose gel, or using an injection of glucagon.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...