How should I take Lantus?

Lantus is injected into your arms, buttocks, abdomen, or thighs at the same time each day. Lantus comes in cartridges with insulin already portioned out. You will likely use a “pen” delivery system to administer the medicine in the cartridges. Your doctor will show you the correct way to inject under your skin and avoid veins and muscles. Before you administer your Lantus, wash your hands and wipe the injection site with an alcohol pad to reduce the risk of infections. Make sure that you check your dose before you take it to avoid serious side effects, including coma and death. Examine the vial or cartridge of Lantus to ensure that it is not cloudy and has no particles in it, but do not shake it before injection. Never share your Lantus pen with someone else, even if you use different needles. There is a risk of transmitting bloodborne diseases if you share it. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...
What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...