How should I take Lantus?

Lantus is injected into your arms, buttocks, abdomen, or thighs at the same time each day. Lantus comes in cartridges with insulin already portioned out. You will likely use a “pen” delivery system to administer the medicine in the cartridges. Your doctor will show you the correct way to inject under your skin and avoid veins and muscles. Before you administer your Lantus, wash your hands and wipe the injection site with an alcohol pad to reduce the risk of infections. Make sure that you check your dose before you take it to avoid serious side effects, including coma and death. Examine the vial or cartridge of Lantus to ensure that it is not cloudy and has no particles in it, but do not shake it before injection. Never share your Lantus pen with someone else, even if you use different needles. There is a risk of transmitting bloodborne diseases if you share it. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...