How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood sugar into energy. You will need to take a slow-acting insulin to keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day. Novolog Flexpen is an additional, fast-acting insulin provider that controls the sudden spikes in blood sugar that occur after meals.

In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas continues to produce insulin, but the body does not respond to it as it should. If you have type 2 diabetes, you need more insulin than a healthy person does. Your pancreas could fail from chronic overwork. Using Novolog Flexpen at mealtime can help your body get the insulin it needs without overtaxing your pancreas.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...