How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood sugar into energy. You will need to take a slow-acting insulin to keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day. Novolog Flexpen is an additional, fast-acting insulin provider that controls the sudden spikes in blood sugar that occur after meals.

In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas continues to produce insulin, but the body does not respond to it as it should. If you have type 2 diabetes, you need more insulin than a healthy person does. Your pancreas could fail from chronic overwork. Using Novolog Flexpen at mealtime can help your body get the insulin it needs without overtaxing your pancreas.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...