How can I minimize the side effects of Precose?

To reduce the side effects of Precose (acarbose), a drug for type 2 diabetes, be sure to take it as directed. It's also important to follow any dietary advice your doctor gives you; doing so will lower your risk of intestinal discomfort, including diarrhea, abdominal pain and gas.

Before you start taking Precose, give your doctor a complete picture of your medical history, because you should not take this drug if you have certain medical conditions, such as kidney problems. If any side effects are severe or very bothersome, tell your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What are the side effects of sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, heartburn, weight gain, and low blo...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...